YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years general medicine, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

can dogs get a human form of the stomach flu Its going around

Customer Question

can dogs get a human form of the stomach flu? Its going around my house and now my dog is throwing up today,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 5 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, Dogs and people do not share common viruses. But they can share bacteria that can cause irritation that leads to vomiting and or diarrhea. But the vomiting in Aember could be a total coincidence.

Customer:

ok... i'll just watch her... she likes to eat rabbit poop lately too.... so maybe she got too much without me knowing.. no diarrhea now, just vomiting everytime she tries to eat something. I just won't force her

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

any stomach medicine I can give her to calm her tummy

YourPetVet :

For now the best thing is to keep her away from food for 12 - 24 hours. You may offer water in small amounts at a time. I do not think Pepto Bismal is effective in dogs. But you can give 1/2 of a Pepcid tablet once vomiting has subsided for more than 12 hours.

YourPetVet :

Also, go easy on the stomach for a day or two and feed a bland diet. The simplest of these is white meat chicken mixed with cooked rice in a 1:4 ratio respectively.

YourPetVet :

If however the vomiting continues into tomorrow then have her to the vet. Dehydration can set in quickly and the intestines can be very tempermental and stay irritated or get progressively worse.

Your welcome. Thanks for your question. Come again with any more questions.