Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.

Are deer antlers are safe for dogs to chew on Ive checked

Are deer antlers are safe for dogs to chew on? I've checked with several dog people, who either say they're great and don't splinter and others say they're not great and they do splinter. What about raw beef bones? I understand that a cooked bone will splinter, but a raw bone won't and is safe for a dog to eat. Is this correct? Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I have seen all of these splinter and cause problems ranging from bone pieces entering the intestine and causing injury to the intestine, to splinters in the mouth, to pancreatitis from bone marrow/bone triggering inflammation of the pancreas.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Raw bones are less likely -- but only in a whole form. These should be a size large enough that the dog cannot break it apart -- and also should be removed if it is cracked or broken at all --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Size is very important -- as a larger bone that the dog cannot crack will prevent access tothe marrow, and also prevent splinters.

Sometimes we miss a customer during a chat session -- so if you need further assistance with this question, please write me back.

Thank you

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian