Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog has not pooped in 2 days

my dog has not pooped in 2 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this via the Internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : From your description constipation would be one of a range of possibilities, if in doubt you should have your vet check April over but a duration of two days, provided your dog is otherwise bright and healthy is often not that serious.

However if April dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around three ml twice a day given orally for a dog if that size.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two teaspoons twice a day for a dog of April's breeding.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider getting a vet involved as further tests may be needed try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

April was with my mom for a week and I just picked her up 2 days ago.

The 1st night I walked her when it was raining and she resisted making anything and I yelled at her and she made nothing until the next Am during our walk.

She has been peeing regularly, eating dry food, glouton free and drinking and has plenty of energy running around apt and playing with toy.

Before this, she pooped once or even twice a day regularly.

I am not sure if its the change in environment, diet since my Mom gave her human food sometimes to get her to eat or something else. With me I primaruly give her Dry food with a little wet from a can for a taste, per her vet since she had allergies in the past.

Hello again,

Bearing in mind what I said previously it is possible that she is constipated due to a change in food plus a change in environment. I have known this happen.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.