brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My white pekinese poodle has large warts all over her body. Should we take her to the vet

My white pekinese poodle has large warts all over her body. Should we take her to the vet to get them removed? She bites some of them until they bleed but at 10 yrs of age, I am worried about her being put to sleep for this procedure.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.

Most of these warts end up being benign, but if they bother the dog, they are a problem! I definitely recommend having them removed.

I don't worry about anesthesia in a 10 year old dog. Just make sure that you discuss several points with your vet:

1. pre-anesthetic screening using bloodwork to look for underlying conditions
  2. physical exam to make sure she doesn't have a heart murmur, etc
  3. monitoring during surgery (pulse, blood pressure, oxygenation, temperature, etc)

As long as the vet is using appropriate precautions, there is no reason to be overly concerned for little Cookie. I understand that you are worried, but she should be just as safe as any young dog going in for routine surgery.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Meanwhile, what do I do with the yeasty rash? It is on the warts in her ears too. And how will we keep her from scratching her scars after they are removed?
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.
What does this rash look like? Are you talking about dark discharge on the surface of the warts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, it is a light yellow colored yeasty looking rash and it mostly on her back, but the warts in her ears also have the same rash on the warts and also on the inside of her floppy ears. There is a foul odor in her ears, so I guess I should wipe them with peroxide and dry them carefully?
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.

I recommend having both of these things evaluated by your vet. I recommend a chlorhexidine shampoo for her skin rash, and a topical ointment for her ear infection.

You can clean her ears with a dilute vinegar solution, but this will not eliminate the ear infection altogether.

An office visit for these problems would also be a great opportunity to ask your vet about the things I listed above in regard to anesthesia to remove the warts.