Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog has a cold in her eye. Ive put a warm wash cloth on

My dog has a cold in her eye. I've put a warm wash cloth on it, but that won't make the eye better. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question about Jojo. Is she squinting the affected eye? Is the clear part of the eye appearing to be very cloudy or gray-blue in color?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She won't open the eye. I put a warm wash cloth on it, clean it, and her eye opens, but she won't hold it open. She can't see very well, has partial vision, so gray-blue in color. The whites of her eyes are red. She also has asthma.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. Holding the eye closed, makes me very worried that she may have a corneal ulcer or laceration, both of which are painful, and may lead to severe infection and permanent loss of vision. This is not something that should be attempted to be managed at home - a veterinarian needs to stain the eye with a fluorescent stain, to check for damage, and then appropriate treatment can be started. This may just be antibiotic drops and pain medicine, or it could be more involved, including minor surgery, or special drops made from Jojo's own blood serum.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She doesn't seem to be in pain. She is just breathing hard like she usually does. A friend just told me to put warm camomile tea on her eye.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Squinting her eyes is a sign of pain and sensitivity. A dog doesn't need to be wailing and crying to be in pain, most dogs are rather reserved in their demonstration of pain.

Chamomile tea has no reason to be put into an eye.

My best advice is to have this eye examined as soon as possible, to prevent loss of vision and further discomfort.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I must wait 2 hours for my appointment. I got her in today.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
I am very relieved to hear that. Please let me know what you find out later.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how to talk to you later. I thought I was being scammed at one point before I got in touch with you.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
You can reply in this same place, and I'll be notified when the message appears.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. Thank you for your time.