Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My Chocolate Lab just ate 3 chicken leg bones. What should

My Chocolate Lab just ate 3 chicken leg bones. What should I do? She is not choking.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Was the chicken spicy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it was Tandoor Chicken Legs. Homemade so not as spicey as in a restaurant.

Then you have 2 issues to deal with.

The spicy effects and the bones.

How much does Sage weigh?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Around 60 pounds. We have given her one piece of white bread and one cup of cottage cheese with a little vinegar.

Ok, as far as the bones, there is a good chance she will pass them. A few months ago, my 15 pound dogs ate a pound of chicken wings and did not miss a beat. You can give a piece of whole wheat bread three times a day. You can also give a tablespoon of metamucil at each feeding. Both of these things will help bulk up the digested food and move it through. For the next 3 days, watch for pale gums as this can indicate internal bleeding or shock. Check the gum color now so you know if there is a change. You can even take a picture of her gum color so you are sure if there is a change. If she gets a blockage, she will vomit what she tries to eat and drink. She will have abdominal pain on palpation. She will be lethargic and not move around much. If you see any of these signs, take her to a vet.

For the spicy problem. Dogs can get gastroenteritis and pancreatitis from spicy food. Gastroenteritis is inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. The pancreas makes digestive enzymes and insulin. It can become inflamed with spicy, or high fat, meals. Both conditions can cause vomiting and abdominal pain as well. To help prevent this, give her 1 tablet of pepcid ac, every 8 hours, for the next 3 days. This will help reduce the excess acid in her stomach.

I hope this helps. Do not worry too much yet.