Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

my yorkies belly suddenly swelled. it feels big and hard and

my yorkie's belly suddenly swelled. it feels big and hard and she has lost her balance because of it. Her rear end wobbles and she just sits. she can't seem to keep eye contact with me. her head moves from side to side.
she is not in any pain, it seems, she is laying down in our bed and is alseep now.
can I wait until the morning to take her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Is she losing eye contact because her eyes are moving left/right?

Customer :

thank you.

Customer :

her entire head moves left to right

dogdoc4u :

If you hold her head still are her eyes shifting side to side

Customer :

no. her head is really heavy in my hands.

dogdoc4u :

Does she seem dizzy?

Customer :

her whole body is heavier.

dogdoc4u :

Has she vomited at all?

Customer :

no.

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

Her belly can swell because of swallowing air or other issues

dogdoc4u :

Has she had an appetite at all?

Customer :

yes, she is always hungry...she ate her dinner.

dogdoc4u :

Could you look at her gum color for me (pink, white, yellow)?

Customer :

pink

Customer :

she keeps licking her lips

dogdoc4u :

Do you have an ability to take her temperature? You can use a digital thermometer

dogdoc4u :

Licking her lips is an indication of nausea

dogdoc4u :

Can you walk her around at all? Walking will help with the nausea and cramping

Customer :

yes, i can try. i just put vaseline on the end of it, right?

dogdoc4u :

Yes

Customer :

yes, she can walk on the floor. she can't get herself up on the bed though.

Customer :

and i have to carry her up/down the stairs

dogdoc4u :

Even if you are just walking around the yard a bit

Customer :

we've been out a few times now, and she takes a long time to find a spot

dogdoc4u :

I am having a hard time relating the nausea, bloated belly, and balance issues together

dogdoc4u :

The only possibility is something related to the brain, such as a vestibular issue

dogdoc4u :

Any chance of trauma or ingestion of anything like a plant?

Customer :

what really worries me is the size of her stomach and how heavy she is...she is only 8/10 pounds, but feels heavier. it is a noticeable difference.

Customer :

no trauma that I know of or ingesting a plant...

dogdoc4u :

It sounds like it might be best to have her seen tonight...

Customer :

she did make a whole in chicken stock, but i found most if the cardboard...

dogdoc4u :

I doubt you will sleep tonight if you do not bring her in by the concern I am getting from you now

Customer :

well, that's what I was afraid of. my husband is away in TX, while I am in VA with my 7 year old. We don't have family or anyone nearby to look after him.

Customer :

she did drinnk a lot of water earlier and was able to pee afterwards.

dogdoc4u :

And you cannot take him with you because of the hour?

Customer :

yes, it's 11:30 here. he's been asleep for a while. I was hopiing she would be ok through the night until the morning...

dogdoc4u :

Likely yes

Customer :

are there any other reasons as to why her stomach would have grown like this?

dogdoc4u :

She is pink, it does not sound like it is progressive

dogdoc4u :

Swallowing a lot of air, a twisted gut is unlikely in a dog her size, ingestion of something that has caused this

dogdoc4u :

I am worried about the bloat (again, try walking around the backyard or patting her like a baby to release the gas) but moreso about the neurologic signs you are describing

Customer :

i just remembered she ate one of our cats' throw up...coiuld that be the problem?

dogdoc4u :

It could be a contributing factor

Customer :

thank you. i will let her down and walk with her. she is not complaining at all. is that good or bad?

dogdoc4u :

That is good

dogdoc4u :

Can I answer any other questions for you before you go?

Customer :

No. thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

dogdoc4u :

Glad I could help

dogdoc4u :

Good luck tonight

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.