Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

This morning I forgot to give my dog his insulin shot. So

This morning I forgot to give my dog his insulin shot. So I gave him the shot at noon. He should have gotten it at 8:00 am. It's now time for his evening shot. Should I give it to him or wait until midnight?
Hi, thanks for your question about Toby. The best approach in a case like this, is typically to resume the normal dose schedule, however, it may be a good idea to reduce tonight's dose by about 25%, in order to prevent a possible hyper-response to insulin. Tomorrow morning you should be able to continue as normal. It is important to be alert for the signs of low blood sugar, including drooling, depression, drowsiness, lethargy, and confusion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it OK to give him the shot now or do I need to wait until midnight since I gave the last shot at noon? Thank you
I'm sorry, i thought I made that clear, but I guess my answer was a little vague. My apologies. I would give it at 8:00, but at a 25% reduced dose.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you - I just wanted to be sure that's what you meant. Thank you again.
You're very welcome, best wishes :)