Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic

my dog has been pooping and passing smelly farts a lot lately,

Customer Question

my dog has been pooping and passing smelly farts a lot lately, is something wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 33 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dogs that have a gas problem often gulp their food. They swallow air as they do that. So two recommendations for gulpers. First, pre-moisten the food with warm water so it is like drinking the food. Second, elevate the food bowls so the dog does not have to move the head very much to swallow.

Dogs with very odorous flatus usually have a problem with digestion. The food going through the intestines is only partially digested and then the bacteria in the lower intestines break it down by fermentation and they produce the smelly gas.

So we usually recommend feeding a more digestible diet for a while, like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice. Commercially available digestible diets are available from your vet (Purina EN, Hill's i/d diets). Some vets will also prescribe a supplement that contains digestive enzymes, like amylase, lipase, and protease (Viokase) to help the dog digest the food better. In addition, we often use an antibiotic like metronidazole (Flagyl) to kill off some of these bad bacteria in the bowel. That usually takes care of the gas problem.