Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my dog injured his neck, pulled muscles or something.

I think my dog injured his neck, pulled muscles or something. I have taken him to the vet for the samething, there is sort of a lump near his withers that is soft and feels like the lumps we sometimes get in our shoulders. We did X-ray's and things before and found nothing. After he was sedated for the x-rays the lump was much better, almost gone. He was completely fine this morning, I think he may have reinjury whatever was the issue before, same symptoms. Is there anything I can do for him along the lines of hot or cold packs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

The best thing for these guys with painful necks is to get them on anti-inflammatory meds, other pain meds if needed and rest for 2-3 weeks. As for hot and cold packs, usually I'll go with cold packs for the first 2-3 days and then warm packs for 3-5 days after that. Since this is more of a chronic thing, the other option would be to switch back and forth from cold and warm. In these I would do a cold pack and then 4-6 hours later do a warm pack and repeat. I would do this for 3-5 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.