Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

there is an open sore on my dogs tail... the sore is moist

there is an open sore on my dogs tail... the sore is moist and red with swelling
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K :

Dr. K :

How long has this sore been present?

Dr. K :

Where on the tail is it?

Dr. K :

Has your dog been chewing or licking at it?

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

I just saw it. It wasn't there a few hrs ago. I noticed it because he was chewing at it

Dr. K :

At what position on his tail is it?

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

about 3" from the bace

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

on the R/H side

Dr. K :

Usually this is caused by a bacterial infection.

Dr. K :

It is often referred to as a "hot spot"

Dr. K :

This is treated both with topical antibiotics and with oral antibiotics.

Dr. K :

Low doses of prednisone are usually also given to help with the itchiness while it heals.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

like neosporin?

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

alrighty, thanks for your help

Dr. K :

Neosporin may help a little this evening...but in the long run, this will not solve the problem.

Dr. K :

You will need to take him to the vet for an exam and some prescription medications.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

ok... just for some clarification in the area there is no hair over the sore

Dr. K :

Yes, this is what a hot spot would look like...a red, sore area that is almost wet-looking.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

I caught him licking it so it was wet... would the sore stay dry if he wasn't?

Dr. K :

No, if it is a hot spot, it will look wet even if he is not licking at it.

Dr. K :

You should try to get him to stop....an easy way to do this is with a cone over the head, called an E-collar.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

ok, that sound exactly what I'm looking at

Dr. K :

You can get one of these in the appropriate size for him at the pet store,

Dr. K :

or the vet can give you one at their office.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

ok, we have got him to leave it alone right now, but we will be going to the vet in the morning

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with him tomorrow!

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

Thanks for the peace of mind

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, then please click on the "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service.

JACUSTOMER-b8nv39qu- :

I will

Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian