Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Why does my dog lick the floor

Why does my dog lick the floor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. How long has this been going on for? In which room does she lick the floor? Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For quite some time. But, it seems to be getting worse. She is now constantly licking the floor, hardwood, it seems in all rooms; really not in the kitchen though, which seems odd.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. We are having rolling blackouts here due to the below freezing weather. Any vomiting, diarrhea or change in appetite?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem. No vomiting or diarrhea or change in appetite. Just a very much increased "habit" of loudly slurping the floor with her long tounge.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Excessive licking in dogs can be due to a few things. It could be a nausea, submissive, dietary or obsessive compulsive (OCD) issue. With submission, they are usually licking on you or other pets. With nausea, you typically see some vomiting or grass eating. This may be more of a dietary or OCD issue that has developed. Some dogs may develop odd eating or licking habits due to certain metabolic diseases or deficiencies (i.e.; adrenal gland disease - Cushing's, iron deficiency anemia). Make sure she is eating a high quality dog food. One of my dogs licks the kitchen and living room floor very often. It looks almost like she is cleaning it. I agree that licking in other rooms and not the kitchen is odd. To be on the safe side, I would have your vet run some bloodwork on her, but I feel that a therapeutic trial of a mediation for OCD would be a good way to go to see if this is behavioral related. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OCD seems a likely answer since that is really the nature, in my experience,of Dachshunds anyway; witness the sock/ball fetish. I'm going with that and will give an OCD med a try. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good luck!! Let me know if I can be of any further help.