Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

How long does it take for a broken leg to heal My dog is very small only 4 pound

Customer Question

How long does it take for a broken leg to heal?My dog is very small only 4 pounds.He is part pomeranian and papion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

I am sorry but this comes down to a how long is a piece of string type answer. How long a fracture takes to heal depends on a number of factors, which bone was involved, where on the bone the fracture is situated, how complex a fracture it is { how many fragments }. How well the fracture surfaces are opposed, what method was used to repair the fracture, internal repair like pinning or a plaster cast on the outside.

I have known simple fractures of a midshaft femur heal very quickly, just two to three weeks and more complex fractures take quite a few months.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS