YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years general medicine, surgery and emergency medicine

what are the side effects of the 7 in 1 shot with puppies

Customer Question

what are the side effects of the 7 in 1 shot with puppies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Daisy. Typically puppies can be sleepy after a vaccine but should not be extremely tired. Adverse reaction side effects include mild signs like swelling and hives in the face and on the body. However, more severe reactions include drop in blood pressure, anaphylactic shock and possibly this leading to death. Typically reactions occur anywhere between a few minutes to several hours after the vaccine given. I am not sure if this reaction would go on for a day or more so there may have been more going on. Possibly the vaccine reaction coupled with an unknown birth defect (say the heart) led to a more severe reaction. You may want to discuss with your vet options for an autopsy as well. Again sorry for your loss. Thanks for your question.

J Bache, DVM