Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog has intermittent shivering, seems weak and depressed.

My dog has intermittent shivering, seems weak and depressed. She's also snuffling a bit. She seemed fine yesterday. Can I wait until Monday to take her to a vet? When we got back home after two hours away, she didn't bark and run downstairs. This has never happened before. Could she have a cold?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How is she walking?

2- Can you take a rectal temperature?

3- Take a look at her gums and see if they are pink like yours or pale?

4- Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She seems to walk okay but she doesn't want to. She opens her mouth and licks out as if she's nauseated but doest throw up. Her gums seem pink. She is spayed. She's a Boston terrier schipperke mix. I don't have a rectal thermometer. Should I send my husband to get one.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Can you open her mouth and see if there is something stuck in her mouth, under the tongue, teeth, etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't find anything.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

The symptoms your dog is exhibiting of shaking could be a sign of pain or a fever (infection). The pain can be either directly from musculoskeletal discomfort, abdominal pain or a systemic disease. Her symptoms are very non specific, if you have access to an ER veterinarian it may be a great idea to have her examined and not wait. Her symptoms could be related to something simple, but, it could also be more complex diseases that require immediate care. The only way of knowing is with a hands on exam.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The shivering seems to have stopped. She is dozing off. I sent my husband for a rectal thermometer. What temperature should worry me?

She seems more tired than in pain.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Normal temperature in a dog is 99.5-102.5 F
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her temperature is 39.3 C. Only slightly elevated.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
He has a low grade fever which could be secondary to the shivering or an infection. What you can do until you have him checked by a vet is to go give him Buffered Aspirin 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours with some food.