Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog has a hock injury or some kind. It has been 4 weeks

my dog has a hock injury or some kind. It has been 4 weeks and no better. On tramadol and remidyl(sp?). Tried a course of antibiotics. I ice and heat wrap three to four times a day. Regular xrays only show inflammation. Can put pressure at all now. Has bad right front shoulder which is now out of joint due to tripoding. He is a 10 year old beagle with a 5 heart murmur. He is extremely active with no heart complication symptoms and does not take medication. I nned to do something else since he is not progressing but that will require anesthesia. Any suggestions?

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Has your veterinarian discussed gabapentin, adequan injections, or acupuncture/ massage with you?

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

no nothing. just come back in 2 weeks for another xray. i do have a chriro/accupunturist i can take hime to. i was going to make an appt for next week. what is gabapentine and adequan?

dogdoc4u :

Gabapentin is a medication given regularly for pain. It dulls the nerve firing of pain and can decrease the need for NSAIDS such as rimadyl

dogdoc4u :

Adequan is an injection given 2 times weekly for four weeks (if no change noted by second injection probably will not be effective for Baxter) in order to decrease pain by increasing lubrication of joints...

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

ah like nuerontin(sp?) .would either help a ligament or joint capsule injury? what about steroid injections
?

dogdoc4u :

Yes, it is neurontin

dogdoc4u :

Steroid injections can help but I try to use as a last effort since it can also mean introducing bacteria/ contamination into the joint

dogdoc4u :

They would help with a joint capsule or ligamentous injury in some cases

dogdoc4u :

I would not recommend bandaging the joint since this will cause decreased range of motion of the joint

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

can they do that without putting him o sleep. the doctor did not even want to tap the joint without sedating him. I am just seeing him go down hill because he can't walk. are these injuries that heal without surgery?

dogdoc4u :

It depends on the underlying cause. Sometimes ultrasound of the joint can be helpful as well

dogdoc4u :

Steroid injections in the joint usually do require sedation, yes

dogdoc4u :

The adequan injections are usually subcutaneous (under the skin) so oftentimes just done at home

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

does that do the same as a cold laser. my vet does not have ultra sound but the chiro has laser.

dogdoc4u :

Ultrasound is more for diagnostics. It can actually see a torn tendon/ ligament...

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

sorry i thought you meant for treatment. my d

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

c uses ultrsound machine to reduce inflammation.

dogdoc4u :

Ultrasound can be used for treatment as well but usually at a physical therapy facility

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

so would you recommend finding another doc to do an ultrasound to get a firm diagnosis and seek the injectables and gabapentin?it is still swollen? should i continue heat and ice.

dogdoc4u :

Usually you will need to find a radiologist to do the diagnostic ultrasound

dogdoc4u :

You should be able to ask your vet about the gabapentin and adequan

dogdoc4u :

I think if it is swollen, I would ice to decrease the blood flow to the area

dogdoc4u :

Ice twice daily for 10 minutes (if he will let you)

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

i sure dont know what happened. he was playing with my other beagle and all of a sudden it happened. the other one sometimes bites at his hock when they play or are excited. he will let me ice him for long periods. should he be walking on it? he doesn't now but he was using it a week ago better than he is now.

dogdoc4u :

Did your veterinarian initially have you resting him while recovering from the injury?

dogdoc4u :

It would be best to have him restricted for a good week if possible. You can do passive range of motion of the joint after icing for a few minutes though

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

not really. i did not see my regular vet because i went into emergency. she thought it was just a sprain and recommended anti inflam's. I went two other times and she finally did xrays. After they did the xrays, he no longer could put weight onit. I am guessing they injured him further while trying to get the pictures. so he was not restricted and was still somone mobile.

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

like restricted in a kennel only to be let out for bathroom breaks

dogdoc4u :

Yes, in a kennel or sitting next to you on a leash to ensure no increased activity

dogdoc4u :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you today?

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-pd2imej3- :

no thank you very much for the information. i very much appreciate your time and your guidance.