Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience
36050890

how do i stop my dogs eating the snow and getting sick

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question. First, let me start by saying how sorry I am that your dogs are getting sick from eating snow.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Typically, eating clean snow does not make dogs ill, as it is just water. However, if the snow is somehow dirty or contaminated, it can cause an upset stomach.

Unfortunately, snow is appealing to many dogs. It is fresh and cold and yummy, the way they see it.

There are no secrets for how you keep your dogs from eating snow. In fact, I would answer this question the same way I'd answer if someone was asking me, "How do I keep my dog from eating cake?"

The answer is: the only way you can keep the dogs from eating snow is to be there with them whenever they are around snow to disallow it verbally or with a leash or some other form of distraction. This is very difficult. The only other choice you have is to prevent access to the snow (remember the cake example?). This is actually easier, depending on your environment.

In summary, any time your dog is getting into something that it shouldn't, your only choices are to provide supervision and control, or to manipulate the environment so that access is unavailable.

My REAL concern for your dog is that it isn't the snow that is making your dog sick. But that's another story.

Please know that you can click REPLY to add more to this thread at any time, even after you've clicked ACCEPT. I'm happy to do what I can to help.

Thank you for using Just Answer!
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years of veterinary experience