CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I bought my dogs beef femur bones as a treat and shortly after

I bought my dogs beef femur bones as a treat and shortly after getting all the marrow from hers, one of my dogs insisted on going outside where she immediately began "mowing" the lawn. Both dogs will occasionally eat grass, but not so aggressively. She threw up a pile about 3" in diameter and 2" high, then continued to mow down any available grass. Could the raw bone have been the problem? I haven't given them anything else outside their normal daily routine in some time. My other dog (her litter mate) doesn't seem to be having any problems, but I understand real, raw bones are better for them to chew on than the pet store purchased braised ones. What do I do?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

How much do they weigh?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The one that got sick (?) weighs about 50 lbs, her sister is closer to 40-43 lbs.
I absolutely would attribute these signs of stomach upset to the bone.

To help with these signs of stomach upset in the 50 pound dog, here are severel over the counter options for you:

1) Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) - 10mg every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec OTC - 10mg ONCE per day

3) A bland diet of chicken and white rice.

4) Hydration with pedialyte for fluids and electrolytes.

Please let me know of this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, should I just stop any attempt to give them real bones, or might it be a one time thing since they're not used to eating these. I'd really like them to be able to have more healthy options.
To be 100% honest - bones are just asking for trouble - you are asking for them to eat a large piece and it to become a blockage.

I would use other treats if possible.

One option is to purchase a toy such as a Kong Toy
http://www.kongcompany.com/

These are VERY durable products which have a hollow center and you can put MANY treats inside - even something like peanut butter. Clients have even done this, then placed it in the refrigerator or freezer so the dog can be entertained and licking at this for hours!