alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.

dogs: i cannot afford the cataract removal surgery

Customer Question

i cannot afford the cataract removal surgery for my there an organization that gives the gift of sight to dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  alhdvm replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Does Maxie have cataracts in both eyes or just one eye?

Are the cataracts from diabetes or another condition?

Where do you live?

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
maxie has cataracts in both eyes.he is also a diabetic and is controlled.takes nph 2 x day.i live in ellicott city md.
Expert:  alhdvm replied 5 years ago.
I just wanted to you have this link. It is a very good synopsis of cataracts in diabetic dogs. It also talks about how to handle having a blind dog with a link to another website which is also very good.

As for financial assistance you will need to qualify for most of the programs by showing low income status. They each have their own guidelines. You will have to contact them for information. If it is not a life-saving procedure then they may not help. Cataract surgery is not a life-saving procedure. So just be prepared.

1. Brown Dog Foundation:

2. Angels 4 Animals:

3. Diabetic Pet Fund:

4. Pet Samaritan Fund:

I hope one of these organizations can help you. If not you can always try to apply for Care Credit which is a medical credit card. It can be used for human and animal medical care. The vet that does the surgery must take the Care Credit card so if you go this route you need to make sure they accept Care Credit before you have the surgery done.

Good luck! I wish you all the best!

Dr. Hinson