Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

is there a way to remove a bone from a dogs throat

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 5 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr steve.

Steve O. :

What is he doing that makes you think he has a bone stuck?

Steve O. :

Has he eaten bones lately?

Steve O. :

Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to do this. If he truly has a bone caught in his throat, he may need to be tranquilized so the bone can be removed with a long surgical forceps. It is possible that he hs fluid in teh lungs from a congestive heart condition and it sounds like he is trying to gag or cough, like he has something caught in his throat. I hear that description frequently and the majority of time itis fluid in the lungs causing the cough. Either way it sounds like he should see a vet to have his throat andlungs checked out and either condition treated. If he has fluid on his lungs ther is a pill called lasix that is used to help him remove the fluid before it gets into the lung. I hope this has helped. If it has, would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. I will check later to see if you havemore questions.