CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Sudden appearance of a large round lump on the side of my dogs

Sudden appearance of a large round lump on the side of my dog's neck. Position of the lump is to the right side of midline on the right if facing the dog, it seems to be at the base of the neck at the junction of the top of the shoulder. Lump feels hard and dog does not seem to have pain when squeezing it. Lump is not completely symmetrical when squeezing it, seems to have an upper surface oval shape that can move under the skin and a lower roundness that is less movable. In the last 24 hours it seems bigger than when my husband first noticed it yesterday. This dog is actually a puppy...he is only about 3months old, has been growing fast and weighs about 30lbs. He is a mixed breed.
Hope you can give us some idea what we should do about this.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is the lump in this area?

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it is on the top lateral side of the neck, about 3 finger widths away from midline. Kind of in the triangle shape area that forms the shoulders.
From your description this is in the area of the pre-scapular lymph node.

This could also be a hematoma (bruise) from running into something (trauma)

As long as we are eating, drinking, playing, and otherwise normal - this is not an emergency and I would see how we are doing in 48 hours.

If the lump either does not go away, or continues to grow - then I would have a needle aspirate of the lump to see if it is inflammation, infection (abscess), or bleeding from trauma.

In a young puppy - obvious causes in older dogs such as cancer would be VERY unlikely!!!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.