Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My 14 year old yorkshire terrier is deaf & blind. Is there

My 14 year old yorkshire terrier is deaf & blind.
Is there some kind of treatment out there
Is surgery an option If yes what would be the cost
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Do have any diagnosis as to the cause of the blindness?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has cateracts other wise healthy
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. Surgery for cataract surgery is possible and is routinely carried out in specialist centers throughout the world. Prices would vary from centre to centre so you would have to inquire first but a fee of equivalent of $ 3000 - $ 4000 US per eye would not be unusual. Your vet will be able to point you to the best place for this surgery in your area.

2. Unfortunately dogs are prone to age related deafness and if this is the case then almost certainly nothing can be done. However other causes are possible but your vet will be able to examine your dog's ears and advise you further.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS