Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

why is my dog vomiting white foam and bloody stool

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

First let me ask a few questions about Princess...

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Ok

Dr. Deb :

How long has this been going on? How much does Princess weigh?

Dr. Deb :

How is her energy level? Is she interested in food? Increased or decreased thirst?

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Diarrhea since last night, and within the last couple of hours there is blood in the stool (loose) and vomiting white foam

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

my dad thinks she weighs 13 pounds

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

weak far as the energy level

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

not interested in food

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

decreased in thirst .. diminished she drank a little bit a little while ago

Dr. Deb :

Could she have gotten into something she shouldn't have or any treats or new foods that she's not used to?

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

She now lives with us, her adult kids who have 2 little dogs and she was caught eating some of their food, but in a small quantity, other than that, we don't think so

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

well my mom and dad live with us "THEIR" adult kids :o)

Dr. Deb :

Is Princess current on all her vaccines?

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

yes

Dr. Deb :

She may have simple gastritis/colitis that may pass on it's own, but she may also be suffering from a disorder called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE).

Dr. Deb :

HGE can occur for many reasons such as dietary indiscretion, and/or stress, but we aren't always sure why it occurs.

Dr. Deb :

Because she's a small dog, dehydration from the vomiting and diarrhea is a concern. And, HGE can become life threatening if not treated, as their red blood cell count increases, and can increase to a point where they can have "sludging" of the blood and form clots in their blood stream.

Dr. Deb :

Because she's weak, not interested in food, drinking very little and she's a small dog - having her seen by a vet as soon as you can is recommended. If she were still bright, alert, etc... waiting until tomorrow would be okay.

Dr. Deb :

Can you take her temperature rectally for me/

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

We are going to check that for you right now. Money is a concern, so we were hoping we could at least wait until tomorrow to take her to my normal vet who is now closed.

Dr. Deb :

I know and can certainly sypmathize with the money concern - especially on emergency at night - it can get expensive fast.

Dr. Deb :

Can you also check her gum color for me?

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

97.3 we left it in for about a minute, its digital and her gums are pink and they are black by her teeth.

Dr. Deb :

How far did you have the thermometer in - that is a very low temperature for a dog - concerning.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

how far in should it go, it looked like he had it in there appx an inch

Dr. Deb :

An inch or two should do it. Try it one more time for me - sorry. But, try 2-inches and then gently angle the tip of the thermometer up towards her back - that way it's against the rectal wall.

Dr. Deb :

That temp is very low.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

ok thank you doc, we are doing it right now. How long should it stay in

Dr. Deb :

Most digital thermometers have a timer and beep when they are done. But, one minute is fine.

Dr. Deb :

Some are only 30 seconds or even 10 seconds - but if you do one minute we know for sure it was in long enough.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

98.9 is pretty much what we are coming up with .. SIGH

Dr. Deb :

98.8 isn't too bad - still lower that I'd like to see it. How lethargic is Princess? Is she getting up and moving around and responding to you?

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Yes, just shaky and slow like she is cold

Dr. Deb :

Normal temp for a dog is 101.5-102.5 F

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

that is good to know

Dr. Deb :

Well, ideally getting her to the vet would be best. But, if that's not possible.... this is what I'd recommend...

Dr. Deb :

Instructions for tonight....

Dr. Deb :

No food, controlled amounts of water, try to get some Pedialyte or Gatorade into her.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

what would you consider "controlled amounts of water"

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

How much pedialyte or gatorade should we be given her

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Thank you so much !

Dr. Deb :

Keep her warm and resting. If you have a heating pad or water bottle, wrap it in at least 2-3 bath towels so that it isn't very close to her skin - and wrap and put a blanket over her.

Dr. Deb :

Controlled amts of water - meaning just offer her some in a bowl, let her drink what she wants to - just don't let her gulp and gulp too much.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

does my mom need to worry about her dying tonight ?

Dr. Deb :

As far as the Gatorade and Pedialyte - mix in some water or use a oral syringe or turkey baster to gently squirt some in her mouth - being careful that she doesn't inhale any of it causing aspiration pneumonia.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

If that's the case, she will definitely try to borrow money

Dr. Deb :

Unfortunately, I'm not able to examine her, so it's hard for me to say, as I don't know exactly what's going on with her and why. But, based on her symptoms, her size, and her low temperature, it is a possibility. But, if at any point she is having any trouble breathing, acting unresponsive or her temperature drops even lower or above 103 - take her into the vet on emergency if you can.

Dr. Deb :

Don't take her temp too often. You can take it every 1/2 to 1-hour.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to them what you said and let them make the decision. My mom loves her little chihuahua very much

Dr. Deb :

I know - and it's a very hard position to be in. Princess may do just fine until morning with good nursing care - which I have no doubt she will receive.

Dr. Deb :

Again, if anything changes... try to get her in.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

How often with the gatorade or pedialyte

Dr. Deb :

Well, it depends on how much they can get in. There really isn't a specific amount. We are trying to get some electrolytes into her alon with the fluids. Every couple of hours and getting in as much as they can, but not overwhelming her. When she starts to turn her head and say no - then stop and try again in a while.

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

Ok thank you.

Dr. Deb :

You are so welcome!! Have a good evening... I hope Princess does well.

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind hitting the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

JACUSTOMER-4wc7ne7b- :

I will accept gladly. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be lifting her in prayer as well, God knows we love animals and I am sure he does too, being he made them :o)