Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

What is the maximum dosage of Prednisone I can give 15 lb dog

What is the maximum dosage of Prednisone I can give 15 lb dog with Stage III Lymphoma?
This is an 11 year old rescue poodle that I am fostering. He has been on 7 mg 2x daily of Prednisone for the past 10 days. The Vet did mention to me that if this did not control his symptoms (coughing and slightly labored breathing) that we could consider increasing the dosage.
Of course it's Sunday when his symptoms worsened. The only time he does not cough constantly is when he sleeping. The labored breathing continues even when he is sleeping.
We know the dog is terminal so we're not concerned with Prednisone side effects. Can I give him more Prednisone just for today so he can be more comfortable? Then of course I will talk to our local Vet tomorrow. Thank you
Hello there,

The maximum dose used for chemo type cases is 2 mg per kg body weight. The dog is currently on 1 mg per kg. The increased dose may not help much if the dog is in end stage cancer. It is not uncommon for the benefits of prednisone to fade as the cancer progresses. On the higher doses it should always be given with food as stomach upset can occur at high end doses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to follow up on the rescue poodle with Lymphoma. Increasing the dosage of Prednisone did help for a few days, but I finally had to euthanize him on Fri., 1/28. Thanks for your help.
Sorry for your loss.