Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 5 year old golden retriever is having difficulty walking

My 5 year old golden retriever is having difficulty walking on our tile floor. It is like his hind legs are slipping on ice. He doesnt seem to slip when he's outside but his hind legs tremble. this started two days ago. He does not seem to be in any pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Can you do something for me? Can you put his head in your hands and make him look all the way to the right, then the left, then down to his chest, and then up at the ceiling? Does he seem painful in any direction?

Is he limping?

Is he eating normally and otherwise his normal self?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He's not eating, he vomited twice, he is not limping, pupils are equal, but cloudy, he was able to look in all directions without pain.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Is there any chance he got into something toxic?

Do you have a thermometer you could use to take his temperature rectally? You can just use a human thermometer.

What color are his gums?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well he'll eat anything and everything so there is always a chance but, i cant think of anything , no i dont have a thermometer, but i dont think he has a temp, he is not lethargic, nose is wet and cold. Friday nite he did seem to have dry mouth, but he ate two pieces of lemon wedge, I thought they were too sour for him

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

There are a number of things it could be.

Anytime a dog is sick, he could become weak in the hind end due to weakness.

An infection could cause him to be weak.

Tick borne disease, such as Lyme's disease, can cause weakness in the hind end. I am not sure if ticks are out where you live because it is winter time.

Anemia, or not having enough red blood cells, can cause weakness. There are infections, parasites, and auto immune diseases that can destroy red blood cells. Sometimes a defect in the bone marrow can cause a deficit in the red blood cell count.

He could have a spinal lesion where he has a inter vertebral disc that is bulging, or herniated out, and it is putting pressure on the surrounding structures and nerves.

He could also be having degenerative joint disease (arthritis) in his hips or spine. You can try sitting behind him and pulling his hind legs straight back towards you until they are nearly at the level of his hips. If he resists this, he may have lower back pain or hip pain.

The trembling could be from weakness or it could be from pain.

To get an official diagnosis, I think he is going to have to be examined by a vet.

I hope this helps.