CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog keeps scratching until she bleeds and has hair loss

My dog keeps scratching until she bleeds and has hair loss in several areas on her rear quarters and tail. Flea baths, bug bombing the house and Vets Best Hot Spot doesn't control it. What is this and how do I treat it? Thanks
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did this start?

Does this happen all year long or just certain times of the year?

Has she had any testing by your vet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started about 6 months ago but has gotten worse lately. This is the first time we've ever seen this. She has not been seen by a vet yet.
In these cases, we can actually have allergies to the food. Dogs are commonly affected by the proteins in the food - thus one recommendation would be to change him to a sensitive skin diet - or even more potent would be to change the diet to a prescription hypoallergenic diet - such as Hill's Z/D or Purina H/A (hydrolyzed diets) as well as novel protein diets such as with the IVD brand.

Other options would be the use of special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.

Supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:

These links may also help in understanding skin disease, supplements, and diets for dogs:

The other possible recommendation would be to use a medication such as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose is 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. This means a 25 pound dog can get 25mg every 8 to 12 hours.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.