Dr. Brian M.
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience in companion animal and exotic medicine and surgery

My morkie puppy just ate a small piece of lego. What should

My morkie puppy just ate a small piece of lego. What should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Brian M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I am Dr Brian. You can give her 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight to induce vomiting and attempt to have her vomit up the Lego piece. If no vomiting within 15 minuets, repeat the dose one time. If she vomits up the Lego, then you are fine. If the Lego does not come up, monitor her for passing it in the stool. If she develops vomiting, lethargy, or refuses to eat over the next couple of days, then have her seen by your vet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Brian,

I will have to check if I have that product. She has already eaten kibble this morning.

Should this treatment still be given

If she has just eaten the Lego it is worth trying. She will have food in the vomit that you will need to search through to look for the Lego.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She ate the lego piece about an hour ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The peroxide is poison. I am not comfortable giving that to her.
Peroxide is used as an emetic (induces vomiting) in dogs every day for problems involving ingestion of poisons or things like this. It is stated on the bottle to not give orally because it causes vomiting. It is used thousands of times a day to induce vomiting in dogs by vets. If you are not comfortable inducing vomiting with this product, then monitor her for vomiting, loss of appetite, and lethargy. Watch her stools for the Lego piece to pass. If you have an emergency clinic in your area with an endoscope, they could try and retrieve it with the scope.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She seems to be acting normaL right now. If I do give her the peroxide, could the piece get stuck in her throat if she does vomit.

I am hoping she will pass this through her next bowel movement.

Yes, that is a possibility when vomiting is induced. The fact that there is food in her stomach helps the object to come out with the vomit. If it is a very tiny piece there is a very good chance it will pass in the stool. The problem is if it gets stuck in the intestines and causes a blockage. This is where you would see the vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite. As long as she is eating and acting normal, then just monitor her stools for the Lego.
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years of veterinary experience in companion animal and exotic medicine and surgery