CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog started licking his inner thigh/groin area a lot, people

My dog started licking his inner thigh/groin area a lot, people called it a "hot spot". I took him to a local vet who gave him steroids, that helped only as long as he took them, then he was back licking. He has licked the hair off and broken the skin (a little). My wife took a look trying to find something to explain it and found a small bump. To me it feels like a cist. My wife thinks it is prostrate cancer. Any help with this?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

You can not feel the prostate from the outside. This is something that can only be felt on a rectal examination.

In a 6 year old dog, cancer would be less likely - this can be a benign cyst, but this is not the prostate as you can not feel this from the outside.

I hope this helps!

_____________________________________________________________________

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
any suggestions on how to stop him from licking himself raw?
I would recommend starting an antihistamine, Benadryl - The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

If he is licking the area, getting an e-collar from the pet store is also recommended to prevent further self-trauma.
____________________________________________________________________