Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

One of my dogs is pooping very liquid poop. I thought it would

One of my dogs is pooping very liquid poop. I thought it would go away, but it has been two days now. The color of the poop is yellow and sometimes green or dark green. I cleaned up a mess of it and found trails of what could be blood. What should I do?

Hello, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. In response to your question, the green color of the feces suggest an underlying bacterial infection. The infection could be primary or secondary to something else like parasites, foreign body, inflammation, etc. The bleeding is the result of damage to the intestinal wall. What you can do is change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken (25%), until the stool is normal. Do NOT give pepto bismol, it will make the bleeding worst. Finally, she should see your family veterinarian for oral antibiotics. Make certain to a take a stool sample with you to the office visit.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter