Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

my mini dachshund gets little bumps on her body and then she

my mini dachshund gets little bumps on her body and then she scratches them constantly..the vet said it is a yeast & bacterial infection.they gave her antibotics and prednisone which helped as long as she was on it and then 2 weeks or so later she starts again.I have tried oatmeal baths & a little of everything over the counter and she is temporarily relieved, but in a day or so she is at it again.Please help me.I am on a very limited income and dont have the $30 to dole out every month!
sincerely,XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there -- Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How long has this been occuring ? and is it seasonal or constantly year around?

Customer :

Usually its in the warm seasons, but this time it is coming back...she starts scratching,licking,biting the minute she gets out of bed most of the time.

Customer :

she gets these little bumps & they sometimes turn into pustules/spell/& then they get bigger and form scabs.She lost a lot of her hair this past summer...

Customer :

She has only had this the past year.

Customer :

are you there?

Customer :

are you still on here?

Customer :

well i dont have the time to wait all day..thank you for your time

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Hi there -

SOmetimes we miss a customer during a chat session --

If you are still in need of assistance, please read over the questions above and write me back ....

I also noted that you had tried benedryl -- do you know the dosage you used, how often it was given, and for how long -- and how big your dog is-- this would also be helpful.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they recommended 1/2 of a 25 mg.capsule once a day...My dog is probably 15 lbs.

HI again --

Sorry we missed each other in the chat session-- but we can communicate this way as well. If you are pleased with the service, tehn be sure to click the accept button -- but only do so once so that you are only charged once.

Now to the problem at hand --

this sounds like a bacterial/yeast infection likely secondary to allergies (aka atopy, atopic dermatitis). Allergies will respond to steroids -- but it is not safe to give those for long term treatments.

This can be a very complex issue -- (also read expensive issue) to address correctly -- so if you are looking at less than $30 per month -- we are very limitedin what may work.

There are a few things to try -- and one has to remember that this is a managed disease -- it does not get cured. Just like a person with allergies it will have to be managed with a combination of medications, control of exposure to allergens, and food possibly.

Allegies are triggered by environmental things (pollen, grass, carpet claeners, etc. etc. etc) , food ingredients, and flea saliva (so one flea bite can do this). Flea bite allergies are the most common -- and easiest to control -- so it is always advised to have an allergic dog on a good safe flea preventative (Frontline, advantage for example -- do avoid generic or sale priced brands due to toxins and reactions in allergic dogs).

Next -- benedryl can be used up to 1mg per pound every 8 hours for allergies --so 1/2 of a tablet every 8 hours for this size dog is appropriate. And may need to be used after the allergic reaction has been brought under control by a steroid (in other words -- start this med while on teh steroid -- and continue) . Medicaitons may be needed seaseonally (if due to a pollen or grass) or full time all teh time.

Other antihistamines that are over the counter that sometimes works are -- chloramphenramine, and loratidine (claritin) . Use only one at a time -- and give for 2-3 weeks for a full effect.

regarding food -- Usually a prescription diet is used to trial this -- but more than 30 per month -- you may try something like blue buffalo wilderness food -- which takes out many of the grains. Dogs can be allergic to such common things as chicken etc. .so this can be a bit of a challenge -- and food trials have to be run with NO TREATS and the trialed food only for 2-3 weeks to see a full effect.

Lastly -- topical treatments that are over the counter are limited - oatmeal shampoos are short lived releif. as are hydrocortsone creams.

And if the skin is red, painful, oozing or infected -- Allergy testing (where you actually find out what yrou dog is reacting to so it can be avoided, or allergy shots given, and diets recommended to avoid ingredients) can be done (cost 350 - 700 -- depends on where you are located).

If you have other specific questions -- you can write me back .

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.