CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

eye problem how serious Black mass inside bottom one eye

Customer Question

eye problem how serious? Black mass inside bottom one eye - lower below cornea.
No changes in one month.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is the mass on the eyelid itself?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In is inside the lower lid - black - w rinkled "stuff" is best I can tell.

What you are likely describing is likely a benign (not cancerous) growth on the eyelid gland, called the meibomian gland.

This is rarely an emergency and seeing your vet for confirmation and evaluation would be recommended on an appointment basis.

This can be easily removed (small surgery) as it appears to have ruptured or sometimes a dog can rub at the area and break it open.

Please let me know if this makes sense and is helpful!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When you say "EyeLid" I think "top" lid?? Do you understand it is below colored (pupil)? Also history of growth on inside upper lid of opposite eye. Had surgery X2 but comes back then leaves on its own??? Also history of (2yrs ago) bite from brown recluse spider. Almost died. Confirmed by sending blood ( assume ) to large hospital in MD. (?) animal diseas ctr. End result after several weeks of care and a $10,000 charge on my Credit card, he fully recovered! ? Did have long term affect to immune system?

Sorry so longgggggg - stick keyyyyys!!!!

No - this would not be related to the immune system - but should be removed and biopsied if concerned.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
No answer given for reply to first!! You asked if I had anything else to say, and I did! Well, it has been many hours withour a response. If he wishes to respond to the final concern, I would be happy with your Dr. In his defence, as I apologized to him/her due to sticky keys, it took a longer time than "normal" for my response and to confirm things I had not told the Dr. previously. He may well be correct in his diagnosis. I just needed to be certain he understood me and gave a piece of history I decided he should know. Without a response, I cannot feel satisified.
What is the question that was missed - I am happy to respond.