CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog tore his dew claw does he need to go to the vet Its

my dog tore his dew claw does he need to go to the vet? It's not bleeding or infected, its a little puffy but thats it
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

In these situations - I do not tend to bandage these as the bandage can cause skin issues as well as make a possible infection worse of the bandage gets wet or dirty!

To help in situations such as this, I recommend warm water footbaths with epsom salts. You can do this twice daily for 5-7 days.

I would also recommend, when going outside - to use a product such as the Medi-Paw protective boot. This should not be worn inside the house, only outside to allow protection from the dirt.

Finally, if your dog is licking at the nail, to prevent further trauma and infection from licking I recommend you use a lampshade (E-Collar) which can be purchased at your local pet store.

ou can try corn starch or flour pressed onto the nail if there is bleeding.

Moreover, if nail or foot becomes more painful or swollen, you may need to visit the vet for antibiotics as an infection is possible.

I hope these recommendations help! Please let me know...

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.