Kristen McMahon
Kristen McMahon, Veterinarian
Experience:  2001 VMD from University of Pennsylvania, 2007 Advanced Course in Veterinary Homeopathy

suddenly today my dog started having jerky movements, twitching,

suddenly today my dog started having jerky movements, twitching, loss of balance, seems wobbly, like she is drunk, seems weak, and when just lying still is kind of wavering... a little like rocking back and forth motion, but very slight. she had surgery one week ago to remove a growth under her tongue, and has been on anti biotics (now done with) and 75 mg of Rimadyl daily. she did eat, her mood was happy when we walked her but otherwise she looks glazed over. She has also had surgery on both knees but that was last April. any ideas? this is the first time we have noticed this, and we have been watching her closely due to the surgery.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kristen McMahon replied 3 years ago.

Kristen McMahon :

Hello, I'm one of the veterinarians here at Just Answer. I would be happy to try and help you with your dog.

Kristen McMahon :

I am concerned that what you are describing might be a seizure.

Kristen McMahon :

I don't think this is in relation to her surgery, a usually if they are going to have a seizure after anesthesia that happens right away. And it would be highly unlikely to have seizures secondary to taking Rimadyl or antibiotics.

Kristen McMahon :

It would be a good idea to let your vet know about this seizure activity. They may want to do some additional testing.

Kristen McMahon :

The best thing to do when they have a seizure is to just remain calm. Try to avoid any loud noises or bright light as these things can make the seizure worse. If her seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes or if she has multiple seizure in one day she should go to the vet (or an emergency facility) right away.

Kristen McMahon :

Do you have any questions for me about this?

Customer :

she appears to be okay right now. is asleep on the floor, and there are no jerky movements. breathing appears normal. is there anything else it could be besides a seizure? or, if it is a seizure, what would cause that?

Kristen McMahon :

Your description is pretty classic for a seizure. I can't really think of anything else that would cause what you described. There are many causes for seizures, here are a couple: Epilepsy (a congenital brain disorder), kidney problems, liver problems, cancer, and exposures to certain toxins like slug bait. Speaking of toxins, is there anything she could have been exposed to including a flea/tick product?

Customer :

she was due for her flea treatment yesterday but didn't get it because I was all out. I can't think of anything she might have been exposed to. She did have her heartworm treatment yesterday. we do live out in the country and have some neighbors with alot of garbage in their yard, but we try to keep her out their yard. Is this fairly common to have a seizure come on suddenly with no apparent (obvious) cause? thanks for your time.

Kristen McMahon :

Coming on suddenly is the typical way that seizures appear. It doesn't sound like she was exposed to any toxins. Definitely let your vet know about what happened.

Kristen McMahon :

I happy that I could help answer your question. And I hope that your girl feels better soon.

Customer :

thank you.

Kristen McMahon, Veterinarian
Experience: 2001 VMD from University of Pennsylvania, 2007 Advanced Course in Veterinary Homeopathy