Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dog wont feed her puppies unless someone sits and makes

Customer Question

my dog won't feed her puppies unless someone sits and makes her do so. what do i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your female. How old are these puppies? Is this her first litter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes this is her first litter. the puppies are around three weeks right now. she seems really despressed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Is she still eating and drinking normally? What breed is she? Do her mammary glands look enlarged, painful and red?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes she is eating and drinking normally. the glands look very enlarged and a little red
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Ok. It is a situation where at this time she may be having some discomfort due to a slight mastitis going on. With the puppies being 3 weeks of age, you can start to wean them. This will take some of the pressure off mom to nurse them. I would soften some puppy kibble and make a mash and let them play in int. In all honesty, she might be trying to wean them already as it is painful for her to nurse them as they are getting their teeth and they are getting most likely more rough / aggressive during the nursing process. I would have mom checked over to make sure she doesn't have a mastitis going on too that needs to be treated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i had another question as well . when should i give the puppies dewormer?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I recommend starting their deworming at 4 to 6 weeks of age.