Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Veterinarian
Experience:  34 yrs in small animal practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year

My dogs one toenail has turned black and she is now not putting

Customer Question

My dog's one toenail has turned black and she is now not putting any weight on it. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago and she was put on an antibiotic. It helped for a while, but now she is worse than ever. The vet is saying that my dog needs an MRI to see what's up with her toe. This just sounds goofy to me. What do you think is going on?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

I would suspect either an infection or a tumor in the toe. Infections may be either of bacterial or fungal origin and take a long time to clear up. It may be necessary to remove to black nail and do a fine needle aspirate to look for bacteria or fungal spores to determine the cause and needed medications. However, your dog is old enough for this to be a tumor, though tumors don't respond to antibiotic therapy. Sometimes we just choose to remove the toe surgically to solve the problem without a long course of treatment and the possibility the the medications won't be enough. Here is more reading for you: