Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

What is the exact dosage for doxycycline for dogs with kennel

What is the exact dosage for doxycycline for dogs with kennel cough? In "The Pill Book Guide for medication for your dog or cat", by Kate Roby & Lenny Southam, they quote doxycycline dosage as 2.5 mg per body pound in the first dose; then following dosages 1 mg per pound for all doses thereafter, every 12 hours for 7 to 10 days. If you do the water method and dissolve a 100 mg capsule in 10 ccs of warm water, the formula is First Dose: 1/4 cc per body pound; following dosages 1/10 cc per body pound. Dose every 12 hours for 7 to 10 days.

Is this correct? a previous answer on answerbag quotes the answer is 2-5 mg per pound per day for kennel cough. How do you choose 2 mg over 5 mg? Is age or health a factor?

If you have an 85 pound golden retriever, what is the dosage for doxcycline for kennel cough in dry capsules versus water dissolved? If you have a 20 lb golden retriever puppy, what is the dosage?

Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Doxycycline dosing is not reduced after the first day, by any reference I use in the clinic. We usually dose it at 5 to 10 mg per kg of body weight, once or twice a day, for at least 10 days. 85 pounds = approx. 40 kg, 20 pounds = approx 9 kg. therefore, 85 pounds receives 200 to 400 mg, and 20 lbs receives 45 to 90 mg.

Whether to choose the high or low end of the range is usually dependent on the severity of the symptoms, and which organ system is affected. For a respiratory infection, we'd probably start out at the lower end of the range, twice a day, and if no improvement was seen in 7 to 10 days, consider increasing the dose to the upper end of the range. Often we go based on what's convenient with regard to pill size, as long as it falls in the dose range.
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery