Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog has had a keratectomy on the 21st December 2010. Vet

My dog has had a keratectomy on the 21st December 2010. Vet just prescribed ilium optigen as post op ointment however by day 3 her eye has completely clouded over. On day 4 her eye got worse and there was alot of yellow discharge with the eye becoming completely pus filled.
Yesterday, blood sprouted out of it and the vet called this a melting cornea. His opinion is that the only option now is to remove the eye!
Is this the case?!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Has the eyeball bursted or deflated?

Customer :

Customer :

the cornea ruptured was what the vet described it as and now its has a small sac on the cornea still with blood and some yellow discharge.

Dr. Lee :

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Lee :

With a ruptured eye, there are only two choices, one is to remove the eyeball, or two is to attempt to save it by performing a conjunctival flap/graft. It is a relatively simple procedure, though some vets are not comfortable doing that. I would suggest to get a second opinion, perhaps ask to see a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer :

my vet didn't offer any other option so its good to know that one exists! she is diabetic however and has said that the bacteria which has infected her eye could spread to other organs so he thought removal would be the best bet. Why are vets reluctant to perform the graft and what time frame does it need to be done by?

Dr. Lee :

This is quite an urgent matter if the globe has already ruptured. I would suggest to see a specialist ASAP.

Dr. Lee :

Graft is not something that is normally done by non-specialist. This is the main reason most regular vets don't perform that.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concenrs?

Customer :

should I just ask for a graft to be done as the treatment that I want or can a vet choose not to perform it? My vet is an opthalmogist and has also removed her cataracts 2 years ago. Also what are your thoughts about complications due to her diabetes?

Dr. Lee :

The vet can choose not to perform it.

Dr. Lee :

Diabetes will get complicated. I do agree with that.

Dr. Lee :

However, if she is well-regulated with the diabetes, that should not be a problem.

Customer :

she is fairly well regulated and I test her myself, now daily as I have been so concerned about the impact of the eye surgery on her blood glucose levels.

Customer :

Is there anyreason for him not to be able to do the graft, due to severity for example?

Dr. Lee :

Well, that depends on how severe it is. Without seeing it in person myself, I cannot say

Dr. Lee :

But if your vet is a board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist and if he does not think a conjunctival flap is worthwhile, then I would heed his advice.

Dr. Lee :

You should at least ask him about this sugery though.

Customer :

would it help if I sent you a photo of her eye?

Dr. Lee :

Not really. It has to be seen in person with equipment to assess.

Dr. Lee :

Light source and ophthalmoscope.

Customer :

ok I understand. I'm reluctant to go back to the vet re: the graft as I feel disappointed that he didn't recommend / or even talk about it. There is only one other opthalmolgist in sydney so I might try to get his opinion.

Customer :

really appreciate your advice though!

Dr. Lee :

That would be best, XXXXX XXXXX a second opinion. But this is something urgent so time is of the essence.

Dr. Lee :

You're most welcomed.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Customer :

no other questions for now. will try to secure an appointment with the other vet asap. thanks again.

Dr. Lee :

Great. You can press Accept to end the live chat. Any follow up questions can be posted on the Q&A session without further charges.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery