Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My dog ate a tube of steroid ointment. (Clobetasol Propionate

My dog ate a tube of steroid ointment. (Clobetasol Propionate ointment USP 0.05%, Taro Pharmaceuticals, 30 g tube, about 25 grams left in tube)
TARO web site says Active Ingredient(s): clobetasol propionate
Innovator Name: Dermovate®
When: Friday 12-31-2010 9:30PM
Breed: Wirehairded Pointing Griffon, Weight:70lbs, age 7

Since shortly afterwards he is restless, urinating constantly and drinking water more than normal. Urine is clear and flows in frequent slow dribbles.

WHAT SHOULD I DO ? What food or medication to give or not give him.

I called a local DMV who was unfamiliar with it. I also called the poison control Center number, they said if it were a child, don’t worry about it.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

When did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

He ate it Friday night about 9:30PM

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Are you there?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sorry for the delay - searching the MSDS for it -- found it -- give me one moment to review.

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

OK

Dr. BJ Hughes :

THe symptoms are consistent with steroid treatments --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Let me check to see how long or severe this dosage is ----

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Yes He has has prednisone before and he did urinate a drink a lot.. I am concerned about the duration and possible kidney and liver damage for such a large dose of a strong steriod.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Exactly -- still checking --

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Thanks

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- there is not toxicity studies in dogs -- so it is hard to give data based information.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

However, this is a water soluble product and will be excreted --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Any effects should be temporary -- and will reduce as the product is excreted --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Should take less than 48 hours -- with effects lasting maybe 24 - 72 hours after that.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The worst case senario would be an iatrogenic case of Cushings disease -- but even this (which is unlikely) would be short lived.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Since the product can not be removed or excretion sped up in this case, wathcing and monitoring is the best --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Any food is fine -- no special concerns here --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Give no medications -- unless prescribed for another condition.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

All should be fine -- if symptoms persist beyond a week -- discuss with your veterinarian. I think that has covered everything. Do you have any more questions?

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Its been about 40 hours. Is Cushings a possibility as he gets older? Will this event promote that?. What is iatrogenic?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(Iatrogenic simply means that it was caused by medication rather than a natural occurance) Sorry for not explaining that.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This will not affect the body over time -- or make him more likley or prone to Cushings as he gets older.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ONce this is excreteed from the system -- any changes will go back to normal.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Just as if given a steroid medication..

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

So Cushings is not a concern related to this?

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

An immediate concern that is.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

if Cushings were to result -- it would be short lived.... and going back to normal. SInce it was a single exposure, the chance of this is exceptionally low.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This will likely be as though he has had a strong dose of a steroid -- and then the body will get back to normal.

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

For now I should feed normally and give water as he needs it? Taking him for 1 mile walks?

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Good. I thought Cushings was permanent and usually terminal.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You bet -- there will be increased water consumption and uriniation -- should not go on for more than a week --- likely 3- 5 days.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Cushings if caused by the adrenal gland over producing streoids can result in death if left untreated. BUt this case is different since the steroids are not being produced over a long time.

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

He has had previous episodes of Drinking/frequent urination before. I cut him off of people food with salt and seasonings and it went away. He is now on Blackwood 3000 and NOTHING else. I think he is sensitive to salt.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That is very possible.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If this continues -- increased water consumption and peeing -- do have liver enzymes checked.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That is if it goes on beyond a week or two .

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

OK Question: So for now he will be fed normally, given water as he wants it, no other meds unless local DVM prescribes, walked and excersied normally and watched.

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

And it should go away in 3-5 days if not take him in? How do I have his liver enzymes checked?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Lier enzymes are a blood test -- like a general health panel -- your vet will know.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The other things are correct ;-)

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

OK thank you. I cant think of anything else. You have certainly given us some comfort in this. My wife and I live alone and retired. Duke is our grand-dog and a inside family member. Just like a child. I worry about him. Anyway thanks for the help

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand. You are most welcome -- I am sure he is in good hands. I tis obvious that you care about him, and I knwo you will watch him closely.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

JACUSTOMER-tnsb5206- :

Dr Hughes I accept and thanks again.