CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog had green puss in his eye this morning, it has actually

my dog had green puss in his eye this morning, it has actually been bothering him for the past 2 days or so...he only went outside once yesterday, hasn't eaten and I've been putting water on my finger for him to lick...he's pretty much just been lying around the last 2 days, he seems like he can't really open his eyes like they are stinging him. I do have a cat who is not declawed and we believe they were messing around 2 nights ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Based on your description, possible causes may include:

- Uveitis (inflammation)
- Corneal ulcer or abrasion (with or without infection)
- Tear formation problem

I will list some options for you to consider as far as testing and treatment:

If presented to me, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if the tear production is normal (Schirmer)
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma

Treatment:

Lubricating and flushing the eye with saline solution. You can go to your grocery store or local pharmacy and ask for ophthalmic saline. This is commonly found in the same aisle as the contact lens section. You can flush the eyes 2-3 times per day.

You can also warm compress the area around the eye, not the eye itself, to relieve the inflammation.

If this does not look much better tomorrow - seeing your family veterinarian for evaluation and likely antibiotics would be best!

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian