CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog has a very dry crusty nose which was blocked in one

Customer Question

my dog has a very dry crusty nose which was blocked in one nostril.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

There are many dogs that do get a dry, and even cracked nose. A product that may help is Kerasolv - this is a common product used for these hyperkeratotic conditions - the active ingredient in this is salicylic acid.

There are times when an infection (bacteria, mites, etc) or systemic disease can lead to the dry nasal or cracking condition, but that medication (Kerasolv) discussed above (example click here) may be of use.

The link above will direct you to an example - you may want to talk to your veterinarian about using this - it helps quite a bit in many patients! Antibiotics or other testing can also be considered at that time.

I hope this information helps!

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.