Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has canine bowel obstruction. I cannot afford surgury,

My dog has canine bowel obstruction. I cannot afford surgury, so we are trying "liquid therapy." He seems to be responding to it behaviorally(less lethargic, even barking again), but continues to be urinating a substantial amount of blood.. Can he still be in dire straights just from the blood loss? He has been urinating blood for 3-4 days now. He has expelled liquid, but no solid feces.
Hi, thanks for your question about Murphy. Is he hospitalized, or are you treating him at home? Did the veterinarian give any explanation as to why there was blood in the urine with a bowel obstruction?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is home. I unfortunately cannot afford anymore care. Prognosis didnt sound too good. He ate a substantial amount of magazines, which seems to have caused a blockage in his intestine. Initially he just could not defecate, and was acting very strange and letargic. It vomitted ALOT (solid and liquid) about 5 days ago, and no BM or vomit since. He continues to eat. He is dropping bright red blood every half hour or so, and we find a puddle when he wakes up..

I am worried and confused by this blood in the urine, because that makes absolutely no sense with an intestinal blockage. If the blood is coming from the rectum, that makes more sense, I can't link the urinary tract bleeding with an intestinal blockage, unless it's an end-stage condition known as DIC, which is a disorder of blood clotting ability, and signals impending death, in most cases. I certainly hope that's not what's going on.

If he is eating, I am cautiously optimistic about his prognosis. However, if he is not passing what's causing the blockage, he is still in serious condition, and it's still possible that this is a life threatening problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He expelled ALOT of rank smelling liquid from his rectum last night, and yesterday, but the blood is definately coming from his penis. It is almost drops of pure blood not even a stream of urine. I was under the impression that the blood was from straining to have a bm? What could cause this if not the blockage?
I have never heard of a dog urinating blood as a result of straining to have a bowel movement. I suppose it's possible, but I haven't seen it nor heard of it. More commonly, blood in the urine is caused by urinary tract infection, or by bladder stones, or in the case of male dogs, a prostate problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could any of the above cause him to be unable to have a BM...even when eating regularly? (at least 3 cups a day)
A severely enlarged prostate can compress the colon, preventing bowel movements. that's about the only way I could link this all together.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even if he is neutered?
Prostate Cancer and Prostate Cysts can occur in neutered males. BPH, or benign prostate enlargement, is not common in neutered males.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if I cannot afford surgery- if its CBO or radiation for prostate cancer, is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable/better? Should I continue feeding so much if hes not expelling it? He seems hungry..
If he's hungry, then he should eat. However, you might want to try a stool softener, such as Colace (50 mg once or twice a day), to see if that helps him to pass any stools. Unfortunately, if things are getting worse, then you will need to do what is right for him, and consider euthanasia, but if things are getting better, then let's hope that that continues until he's back to normal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will the blood stop on its own if he gets "better"? His affect is better now (more energy, barking, even ran in circles at feeding for the first time all week) but the blood makes me think he is not getting better. Do I trust his emotional or his physical signs? I would hate to put him down before his time..

I know this is hard to give a definate to..I am just so torn up. Thank you.

I wish I could give you the concrete answer you want - but to be 100% honest with you, I think there's been some steps missed in the diagnostic process here, possibly due to financial constraints, so I don't think we have all the pieces of the puzzle, and therefore I can't really give you as accurate of an answer as you'd like to hear.

This problem isn't going to "get better" - to be blunt. if these symptoms are associated with the prostate, then it will only get worse without treatment.