Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog is showing signs of tea tree oil poisoning. What can/should

My dog is showing signs of tea tree oil poisoning. What can/should I do to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Exactly what are you seeing with Gatsby?

Dr. Lee :

And how did he come into contact with tea tree oil? Ingestion? Topical?

Dr. Lee :

Hello?

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Hi. If you can please give me more information as requested above so I can better understand the situation and help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was topical application. He has been sluggish and lethargic but seems to be responding after having received a bath.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

With topical toxicity, hind leg paresis is common. Treatment is via supportive care therapy, which includes IV fluid support, as well as use of anti-tremor injectable medication on an as needed basis. Also, central nervous system and temperature monitoring is needed every hour. It is best to take him to the ER for monitoring and treatment immediately. There is really nothing you can do at home to help. If you cannot go to the ER, then all you can do is to monitor at home for any severe tremors and continued paresis, and it continues, he really needs to go to the ER at that time. Again, with the current condition, he should go to the ER now.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery