Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

My dog has a scaly rash on his testicles that is turning b

My dog has a scaly rash on his testicles that is turning black
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Is your dog licking at his testicles or rubbing on the ground at all? Does he have a rash or is itchy anywhere else on his body?

Customer :

yes he is licking them and has been for a few days.Now there is a scaly skin there

Customer :

I didn't see it before because his fur is so long

Dr. Scarlett :

I think you need to get him to stop licking them as he is just making the problem worse with his tongue. I would get an e-collar to put on him and get him to leave his scrotum alone.

Customer :

ok. but what could be causing it? I can't get to a vet today so that is why I amn asking here it is a fungus? He also has some black dry crumbly stuff around his anus

Dr. Scarlett :

It could be due to anything that irritated his skin--feces stuck in his fur, an insect bite that started him licking, etc. It may now be an actual skin infection because of the irritation going on. If you are able, I would give him a good bath---at least on the back end. I would clip away some of the long fur to allow air to get to he skin and make it easier to keep clean and see what is going on. It is possible the rash is more extensive that you can tell. I would use a shampoo with some chlorhexidene in it, if you have any, otherwise a mild dog shampoo. Dry the area thoroughly, with a blow dryer if Cliffy will let you. Once it is dry, you can apply some cortisone cream or triple antibiotic ointment on it. Then put that e-collar on him to keep him from doing further damage.

Dr. Scarlett :

On Monday I would take him to your regular vet for an exam and possibly oral antibiotics.

Dr. Scarlett :

Oh, you can also give him some Benadryl to maybe help with the itching. He could take 50-75 mg every 8-12 hours (1mg/pound body weight).

Customer :

A bath is not likely but I have washed it with a washcloth. I sprayed it with some antfungal stuff and gave hime some homeopathic anti itch medication. I may be able to clip it a little, he is pretty sensitive about tit and does not want you to touch it.

Customer :

can my other dog get it? Is the black from the licking?

Dr. Scarlett :

Try the benadryl, it is very safe. The warm wash cloth compress is fine. I don't think it is fungal, so I'd stop that until after you see your vet. But definitely get the e-collar. Pet stores carry them and they should be open today.

Customer :

IF not fungal then bacterial?

Dr. Scarlett :

I don't think it is contagious. The black is likely increased pigment in the skin due to excessive licking. I would only say to keep your other dog from licking it, too!

Dr. Scarlett :

I would think more likely bacterial. Yeast infections are always a possibility, but tend to go along with a bacterial infection.

Customer :

I could also apply monistat...it might help ?

Dr. Scarlett :

I'd stick with the cortisone or neosporin instead. Ringworm isn't that common, particularly on the scrotum, and a Malassezia yeast infection is treated with oral antifungal medications.

Customer :

what s a Malassezia yeast infection please?

Dr. Scarlett :

Malassezia is the yeast that tends to cause infections on the skin. Ringworm is a different kind of yeast that is treated with Monistat.

Customer :

I thought ringworm was a parasite.

Customer :

If you mean one of t hose big plastic collars I think I have one.

Dr. Scarlett :

No, it is a fungal infection. Roundworms are an intestinal parasite. Very easy to make that assumption!

Customer :

ok. he is not licking it all the time. It's quite awful thought I guess I will have to wait until Monday to find out what it is exactly. so yiou are recommending a neosporin ointment . I also have a spray betamethasone that was used on a horse recently

Dr. Scarlett :

I think a little spritz of the betamethasone would be fine.

Customer :

ok thanks

Dr. Scarlett :

Hope Cliffy feels better soon!

Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.