Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

my dog has had some almond milk last night. today, she wont

my dog has had some almond milk last night. today, she won't play and is a bit lethargic. has she been poisoned by the almond milk and what can i do about it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Hello there,

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Is there any vomiting or diarrhea?

How much milk did she get?

Did she get into anything else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She wants to eat, but doesn't. she doesn't want to drink. i was mixing the milk in with dog food as she was electrocuted the other day and has to have pain meds and antibiotics to eat. i'm thinking, all in all, she may have had a cup or so of the milk. she wags her tail occassionally and wants to play with the other dogs, but hasn't so far. She is doing some trembling. she didn't get into anything else that i know of thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
What pain meds is she on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she is on
metacam oral o.5ml/mg for pain,
clindamycin drops 2o ml
carafate tab 1g/sucralfate

she seems to be a bit better.. trying to play, but not too long
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Nuts in general are not good for dogs and can cause problems in large doses. They can cause pancreatitis or severe stomach upset due to the high fat content. A cup of almond milk for a dog this size is a very large amount. The almonds are not toxic but the fat can cause illness. If the milk was given over an hour ago it is too late to induce vomiting. If the dog is already on those medications there is nothing else to give at home. The carafate should help coat the stomach. Nothing else can be mixed with the metacam. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, no bones, or onion-free jarred baby food, chicken or turkey, can be offered to stimulate the appetite. If she continues to not drink, she needs to be examined by your vet and may need IV fluids until eating and drinking on her own.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.