DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

My dog ate a turkey carcass

My dog ate an entire turkey carcass. Are there any symptoms I should be aware of? Or can I give him anything to help him pass the shards of bones?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,
I will try to help you. There are several concerns, the first is that the bones can cut through and perforate the intestinal lining, causing leakage of fluid and this can be very dangerous. It is also possible that the bones will get stuck in the stomach or gut. Lastly, dogs can develop secondary pancreatitis, a severe and potentially fatal disease, when they ingest something foreign. If you notice that that he becomes lethargic, if his gums become pale or dry/tacky, if he has blood in the stool, begins vomiting, or stops eating for more than 24 hours, I would recommend bringing him to a veterinarian for an x-ray. Otherwise, I suggest that you attempt to feed him 4-5 slices of bread to coat the stomach following the ingestion. A tube of laxatone can be given with the bread (Cat Lax or generic; these can be purchased over the counter at a pet store, This will help the bones pass with greater ease. You can also use 1 tablespoon of Pepto Bismol to help coat the stomach/GI tract (this may turn stools darker than normal). If he develops diarrhea (which he likely will), 4 mg of Imodium can be given every 8-12 hours. I suggest withholding food until tomorrow morning then feed small amounts of bland diet (such as boiled chicken/rice). I hope this information helps and please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have already fed him. Is there something else instead of Laxotone, maybe a human laxative or should I just give him Pepto Bismol? Thank you.

Hi there,
If you have Vaseline, you can give 2-3 tablespoons of that. Otherwise 2-3 tablespoons of canned cooking pumpkin would work. If you don't have either of these, try the Pepto Bismol and bread. It is ok that you have fed him- I would just withhold further food for the next 12 hours or so. I hope this helps. :)