Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Dog may have eaten ropinirole

Dog may have eaten ropinirole

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has it been since he ingested the medication?

2- How much does your dog weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. 15-20 minutes

2. 65 lbs.

3. yes

I was trying to find information on Ropinirole and side effects in dogs with little success. Let's induce vomiting to get the medication out; need to move quickly. Give him 2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally; if within 5 minutes he does not vomit, repeat it again; can give up to 3 times. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other answers can be found-we called local emergency vet & poison control. After talking more to the person who was taking the med, it turns out it's been an hour since he may or may have not ingested. So far, so good. Since it turns out it's been longer that I thought, would inducing vomiting evn help at this point? Thanks for you help & concern.

Well, Ropinirole works as a dopamine antagonist, I would expect that it could have potential hypotension (decrease blood pressure), which you can see as weakness, lethargy, etc. The half life of Ropinirole is 6 hours, so, if you see any of these symptoms or anything else that would be abnormal, have him checked by ER vet immediately and the vet can treat according to findings. If after 12 hours you notice no problems, then most likely he will be ok, at that point most if not all of the medications has been metabolized; give him plenty of water or low sodium chicken broth to increase urination.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter