Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

how much MSM can I give my 11 lb chihuahua which has severe

how much MSM can I give my 11 lb chihuahua which has severe arthritis in one leg and a torn crucial tendon in other. She is also on Adiquin injections and tramadol for her arthritis.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

MSM is a sulfur supplement - that is used for homeopathic treatment of various joint and skin problems.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The dosage is 50 mg per 10 pounds. So this may be adequate.

Customer :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX take it with her other meds, or play it by ear it the msn seems to be helping get her off other drugs

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There is not a great deal of reserach on this supplementation with other medications. But it appears to be safe and use of this supplement with the medications listed does not appear to be a problem.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Also -- excess MSM is excreted and does not appear to cause any issues.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It has some mild antiinflammatory effects

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Glucosamine is another joint supplement to trial.

Customer :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to take it for myself, RA, and it was helping but got off of it, had a bad flare up yeasterday, wound up a ER for cortisons shot and made up my mind to get on it again when I was reading dogs could take it too

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But your adequan injections have this covered --- if you choose to leave the injections, the oral form may be helpful.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There is one nice complete link to give you --

Customer :

thank you for the advise. Bye

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is on meds for degenerative arthritis -- but has many of the same meds for this situation also .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian