How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13567
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is Nutella poisonous to dogs? My puppy just ate some

This answer was rated:

My puppy just ate nutella. Is nutella poisonous for dogs? My puppy (6 mth old staffordshire bull terrier - english) just ate a few tablespoons worth of nutella (at most). How worried should I be? After we busted her, she did go and drink a fair amount of water. She isn't showing any signs of distress yet and it has been about 15mins.

RebeccaVet :

I just got up and got online and saw your question. I assume your dog is doing alright. I looked up Nutella, and the only potentially toxic ingredient is cocoa, but there is more sugar, oil, and hazelnuts than cocoa in this product. How much did she eat? Unless she ate a large amount of the Nutella,enough to get a lot of cocoa, it should not hurt her.

JACUSTOMER-dkj0cdpd- :

I think she would have had a few tablespoons at most. What symptoms should I keep an eye out for that would indicate she's having a reaction to the cocoa?

RebeccaVet :

Vomiting and diarrhea would be the first thing you probably would see. I doubt a few tablespoons would contain enough chocolate to harm her. If you are really worried, you could get her to vomit. 1 1/2 of a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide would get her to throw up whatever is still in her stomach. You can get her to drink the peroxide by putting it in milk or ice cream. It has to be fresh, fizzy peroxide to work.

JACUSTOMER-dkj0cdpd- :

I think I'll just let her be. If she does develop V or D I'll take her to the vet first thing in the morning?

RebeccaVet :

There is no antidote to chocolate poisoning, but it is a good idea to have her checked by your vet if she starts to vomit. Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy New Year

JACUSTOMER-dkj0cdpd- :

So when you're told that chocolate/cocoa can kill a dog it needs to be a fair amount and if they do consume it there is nothing that can be done?

RebeccaVet :

It depends on how much they eat, what kind of chocolate, and how big they are whether they get sick or not. Dark chocolate is much worse than milk chocolate. If your puppy ate several ounces of dark chocolate, it might kill her, even with emergency veterinary care. If a puppy eats a little milk chocolate, or gets into candy (or Nutella) that is mostly sugar, nuts, caramel, nougat, etc., then it probably won't get sick at all. The only treatment is "supportive care" like IV fluids, anti seizure drugs (enough chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death), but there is no antidote.

JACUSTOMER-dkj0cdpd- :

Thank you very much - have a great new year!

Rebecca and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions