VetCares
VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
51052018

Dog is sensitive to touch on rear back area. Stomach is tense

Dog is sensitive to touch on rear back area. Stomach is tense and sensitive to touch. whimpers or yelps when touched. Moves ok.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for posting. What kind of dog is Cooper? Any vomiting or diarrhea? changes is eating or drinking amounts? stomach is distended and tender--for how long has this been the case? Anything odd he could have goten itno? Finally, any past significant health issues?

Customer :

He is a Dachshund. No vomiting or diarrhea, or changes in intake. Stomach seems muscle tense maybe an hour or 2. Lot of humping in the last 24hrs.

Customer :

He is a Dachshund, with no vomiting or diarrhea. Hasn't had any changes to intake. Pain and point tenderness along back and stomach wall around rib cage. Has happened before after extended periods of humping and play.

VetCares :

ok. has he had back problems in the past? Is he lean or overweight

Customer :

He is lean and has had this before after prolonged humping. But not as sensitive to the touch. Never noticed the stomach tightness before. very reluctant to stretch hind legs when getting up

VetCares :

ut oh-- looks like my response vanished/ did you get it?

Customer :

no

VetCares :

ok. so I am sure you are familiar with the biomechanical challenges that the looong back causes. So long as he is able to walk and has sensation and is still eating and drinking, it is ok to just restrick his ability to jump/hump/ hop up and down the xfurniture

VetCares :

restrict*

Customer :

Sounds good. Thanks for the help and info

VetCares :

however, if he regresses--where he is dragging his back end, or if he is unable to urinate, he will need to be seen sooner vs. later. We'd moved away from high dose steroids for backs

Customer :

ok.

VetCares :

but we can use analgesic combinations that work quite well. Just so we aren't presenting with thwo separate problems--he didn't raid the garbage or anything did he? lower abdominal tenseness you think is du to back pain?

VetCares :

pardon my typos-- getting late here

VetCares :

it is common to have a tense abdomen with a back ache-everything is just on high alert. However, with a holiday weekend, Can't discount that more food is lying around and dogs try to take advantage of it. It islower on the list because he is still otherwise eating adn no vomiting or diarrhea, but just tuck it in the back of your head as this event rides it's course. Happy New Year to you and Best to you and Cooper!-- Dr. A

Customer :

No garbage just regular dog food.For sure would say it is tense from the back pain as to the same as a humans muscles in the back and legs.

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

Hello- I don't feel like I answered anything for you. As you well know dachshunds are over-represented for back problems. That long spine just is not good. Jumping on his hind legs and humping/mounting behavior also adds quite a bit of stress to his back.

We've moved away from using large doses of steroids in managing these and instead, use non steroidal analgesics and trmadol, or a muscle relaxant. He sounds at the moment that he is just a little gingerly sore and guarding of his back. No jumping/careening around for the next few days and controlled leash walks only.. Make sure that if things progress that he's is evaluated. Best of luck to you both. Keep Cooper from jumping up and let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you-- Dr. A

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian