Dr. Goodall
Dr. Goodall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS and MRCVS

My dog is lethargic, wont eat, dark yellow urine. He wont

My dog is lethargic, won't eat, dark yellow urine. He won't even eat bread, eggs or carrots which he loves. His respirations are 44 today. It is Christmas and not sure if we should find a vet to take him too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Goodall replied 3 years ago.

aegoodall :

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall and I'd like to help.

aegoodall :

May I ask a few questions please?

aegoodall :

1) Is your dog fully vaccinated and up to date with worming and flea/tick treatment?

aegoodall :

2) Is he on any medications or have any medical history at all?

Customer :

yes he is up to date, no is not on any medication

Customer :

he has not had any health problems

aegoodall :

Ok, and how long has he been lethargic for?

Customer :

for about 24 hours now. He was fine when he went to work with my husband was running around but yesterday just was not himself

aegoodall :

And has he been vomiting or had any diarrhoea?

Customer :

no neither one

aegoodall :

Any coughing, sneezing or having difficulty breathing?

Customer :

No none of them also just a slightly increased rate at 44. We did have 2 dogs but had to put one down about a month ago but he seemed to be fine since then.

aegoodall :

Right ok, may I ask why the other dog was put to sleep? Could you check the color of Tucker's gums? Are they salmon pink or paler or white?

aegoodall :

Or are they even slightly yellow?

Customer :

He was 13 years old blind and deaf and very arthritic was not a good quality of life. His gums are still salmon pink not paile or white or even yellow.

aegoodall :

Ok that's good that the gums are still pink. An increased breathing rate can be due to anemia (why I asked about gum color), heart failure (usually coughing too), lung problems (pneumonia), abdominal distension (pressing upwards on diaphragm), or pain (of any cause).

aegoodall :

Is there any discharge from the nose or eyes?

aegoodall :

Do you have a thermometer that you could take his rectal temperature with?

Customer :

no discharge from his nose or eyes. No I do not have a thermometer

aegoodall :

If you put your hand behind his left elbow on the chest, can you feel the heart to get a rate? Sometimes if the dog is lying down you can actually see it beating on the left chest just behind the elbow.

Customer :

it was 92 beats per minute

aegoodall :

Ok good that is normal.

Customer :

Should we be concerned at this time then

aegoodall :

The clinical signs that your dog is showing are not very specific to any particular condition. The dark urine means that he is dehydrated, so you should try to make him drink (try force feeding - perhaps with a squeezy drinks bottle?) A daily intake for an averaged sized dog is 1 to 1.5 litres per day. The breathing rate could indicate pain. If he is not eating it could be due to a gastrointestinal upset - this may cause gas and abdominal pain.

Customer :

how would we take care of the gas or abdominal pain

aegoodall :

I would be more concerned if his heart rate was over 120 beats per minute, if he was vomiting or if his gums were pale. Since none of these apply, then thats good. It would be ideal to take his temperature (does a neighbour have a thermometer that you could borrow?).

aegoodall :

The best way to treat a GI upset is to offer only chicken and rice for the next few days (boiled). If you have it or can get it from a pharmacy try giving him a little Gaviscon/Antepsin (sucralfate) 3mls twice daily. This is a gastroprotectant and helps to settle the stomach.

Customer :

We just found one in a box, I will take it now

aegoodall :

Ok great - normal is 37.5 - 38.5 degrees C - or 99.5 - 101.5 'F

Customer :

His is normal at 100.6

Customer :

Would trying to make him active outside help also

aegoodall :

Great! Ok so his vitals are normal. This is likely just to be a tummy upset so try Gaviscon and see how he goes over the course of the day.

aegoodall :

Probably not, I would just let him do what he wants - if he wants to lay down, then let him.

aegoodall :

Keep checking his vitals (heart rate 60-110, breathing rate no more than what it is now, temp as above, gums - salmon pink) and watch out for vomiting and diarrhoea.

aegoodall :

And offer him plenty of water

Customer :

Ok great thank you very much

aegoodall :

No problem, I hope Tucker is feeling better soon. Have a lovely day.

aegoodall :

If you have further questions later just ask away - i'll be checking my account regularly.

Dr. Goodall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS and MRCVS